Status on chapter 7on December 28, 2010 at 11:40 am
I have achieved my resolution of sketching all of the next chapter before the year was over. It clocks in at 36 pages total (42 if you count page spreads as 2 pages each), and takes place almost wholy outdoors.
But I didn’t just sketch away – afterall, sometimes you can’t even squeeze one measly pannel out. But whenever I found myself in a rut, I put my time to good use by creating environments for the comic. 3D environments, in fact.
Manga studio has this handy tool which allows you to import a 3D file and convert it to lines so it can serve as a background or object without looking like the anti-spirals invaded your comic. Unfortunately for me, most of Manga Studio’s models are modern stuff like computers, cars, japanese schools and apartment buildings, which would look a little out of place in Medieval Fantasy Europe… so this handy tool went unused for a looooong time.
But no longer! Two months ago I completed a crash-course on 3dsmax, and after a month or so of catching dust in my computer, I finally put the program to good use:
The Inn, surrounded by the blackness of outer space. When imported into Manga Studio, it turns into:
Plaid inn, courtesy of badly shrunk screen tones. The finished page shouldn’t look like that.
One of my resolutions for the next year is to update the blog more often – not just the comic, since I can’t always keep up the twice a week schedule, but at least blog when a timely update seems impossible. So I’m thinking of updating the news every few days with some of the objects and environments I’ve modelled for the comic (I even had to draw a plant of the inn!): Bert’s room, the communal room, the kitchen (and boy is it cluttered!), tables, benchs, the stairs… next on my list are an outside view of the village cottages, Bea’s house, the church… and how the whole thing’ll look together on a map. It’s complicated stuff, but should be very helpful in the future.